Welcome to the CBIR Autumn School 2017!
The CBIR Autumn School 2017 takes place 13 November – 17 November 2017 at the University of Tampere.
Successful completion of the School enables you to collect several ECTS credits for your Cross-Border International Relations Double Degree Studies.
Familiarize yourselves with the programme of the Autumn School and the requirements available on this page. It is important that you follow the instructions and meet the deadlines. A failure to complete the tasks in time might result in you not being accepted to the rest of the CBIR courses.
Click the programme to view it in a larger format.
Autumn School Requirements
In addition to attending the lectures offered at the Autumn School Programme, you are expected to…
BEFORE THE SCHOOL
- For POMCBIR1, familiarize yourself with the first 6 lectures of Hanna Ojanen’s “Integration and Disintegration in Europe” through the course moodle (https://learning2.uta.fi/course/view.php?id=12071; you will need to use your personal Moodle user information and the course key ‘disintegration’). Complete the reflective tasks for CBIR students embedded in the Moodle.
- For POMCBIR1 (Ojanen), prepare a critique / review (about 2 pages) of one of the following articles:
- Rosamond, Ben (2016) ‘Brexit and the Problem of European Disintegration’. Journal of Contemporary European Research, vol. 12 (4) 864-871. http://jcer.net/index.php/jcer/article/view/807/602
- Vollaard, Hans (2014) ‘Explaining European Disintegration’. Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 52 (5) 1142-1159. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcms.12132/full
- Webber, Douglas (2014) ‘How likely is it that the European Union will disintegrate? A critical analysis of competing theoretical perspectives’. European Journal of International Relations, vol. 20 (2) 341-365. http://journals.sagepub.com.helios.uta.fi/doi/full/10.1177/1354066112461286
- Zielonka, Jan (2017) ‘The remaking of the EU’s borders and the images of European architecture’. Journal of European Integration Vol. 39 (5) 642-656. http://www.tandfonline.com.helios.uta.fi/doi/full/10.1080/07036337.2017.1332059
- For POMCBIR5, prepare a short ideapaper for your master’s thesis. The instructions for ideapapers are available here –> ideapaperinstructions. The deadline for ideapapers is Friday 10 November 2017. Please, send your papers by email to anni.kangas at staff.uta.fi and sirke.makinen at staff.uta.fi
AFTER THE SCHOOL
- to complete POMCBIR1, you will need to write an academic essay of about 2,500 words (about 10 pages double spaced) assessing and comparing theories of disintegration. When writing your essay, be sure to follow the instructions on good academic writing and avoiding plagiarism taught at the Autumn School. The deadline for essays is 15 December 2017 by which they should be run through the Turnitin programme and handed in at this Moodle site https://learning2.uta.fi/course/view.php?id=12133.
- proceed with POMCBIR4, Dmitri Lanko’s Foreign Policy Analysis Colloquium , following the instructions given by Prof. Lanko.
We are looking forward to seeing you all in Tampere!